Sunday, May 27, 2007

The Journey

Back in 1983-1984 I read some lyrics that stuck with me forever. The song is called "April 24, 1981" and it was written in honor of the singer, Rick Springfield's father who had passed away. Very short song with the following lyrics:

"I know all your life you wondered
About that step we all take alone
How far does the spirit travel on the journey
You must surely be near heaven
And it thrills me to the bone
To know Daddy knows the great unknown..."

This morning I woke up with those lyrics stuck in my head. Couldn't figure out why. It's been AGES! And then the phone rang at 7:30 to inform us that our neighbor had passed away.

She fought a battle against cancer for over 20 years. She was brave in her fight and never let it get to her. She had 5 sons to raise. I'm impressed and envious of how devout her and her husband were. Every dawn her husband would take their 5 sons and go to the mosque to pray Fajr. And no matter how many times the cancer came back, they fought it together just as hard.

This morning she will be laid to rest after a long battle. Allah Yer7amha.. o E9aber ahelha.

No comments: